SOME IDEAS • Not Just Family Histories
Although I work primarily with individuals creating personal histories—mostly of ancestors—there are many other situations where a history book is a good idea.
• Yearbook This could be a year book that brings together all the best photos of the year, or it might be a yearbook for a school class or grade. A history like this is ongoing, being added to each year. And each year a new book is added to the collection. Look over the design from a few pages of a published family yearbook.
• Personal Memoir This might be more writing than anything, with fewer pictures (if any). This is similar to an autobiography, but less chronological—more of your extended thoughts on a particular subject; for example, Donald Hall's excellent Life Work, which deals primarily with his thoughts on work. Look at a sample chapter from a published memoir. Also, read the article Writing a Memoir for some things to keep in mind when writing a memoir or a history.
• Community Histories Small towns and communties often have colorful pasts, with memorable individuals and photos. Bringing all these together with stories lights up the past.
• Company History Companies have stories as unique as the individuals that make them up. A history helps solidify the overall company vision and direction and creates unity for those who have worked for decades and for those who are just coming on board.
• Wedding Album Why not take the notes and photos from your wedding and create a lasting collection of both images and accompanying stories?
• Travel Memoir Many people live for an extended (or brief) time in other countries. The experiences are life changing. A record of the events, individuals, and best memories makes a perfect, enduring history.
The following image is a page from a history I have designed and published. My book designs are professional quality, on par with those in the best-designed books on bookstore shelves. View a full PDF sample of a completed personal memoir and family yearbook design.
» Other Ideas & Sample Books
If you have questions about compiling and creating your history, or would like JM Histories to help you start yours today, call or send an email: